Are you living with chronic stomach pain? It’s amazing how many “stomach remedies” you can find at the pharmacy. There’s an entire causes of chronic stomach pain aisle dedicated to the stuff! If chronic stomach pain is bothering you, learn the 5 common causes so you can treat it at home.

Celiac Disease

Celiac disease, also known as gluten-sensitive enteropathy, is a condition that affects approximately 1 in every 100 people. It is an autoimmune disease characterized by the body’s inability to digest the protein found in wheat, barley, and rye. This protein is called gluten.

When people with celiac disease eat any food containing gluten, their immune system responds by attacking the intestines. This causes chronic inflammation, diarrhea, lower stomach pain, and malabsorption of nutrients.

Other symptoms of gluten intolerance include muscle aches, chronic fatigue, dermatitis, sinusitis, mood swings, insomnia, and brain fog. There is no cure for celiac disease but it can be effectively managed by a life-long adherence to a gluten-free diet.

If you believe you have an intolerance to gluten, a blood test may reveal a false negative. The best way to tell if this common food intolerance is causing your stomach pain is to remove all traces of gluten from your diet for at least one month. Then load up on gluten-based foods on the 31st day to test for a reaction. If you’re intolerant to gluten, you’ll know!

Irritable Bowel Syndrome

Irritable bowel syndrome is not a well-understood condition though it affects millions of people, especially women under the age of 40. Symptoms of irritable bowel syndrome include stomach pain (which is usually relieved by a bowel movement), frequent changes in bowel habits that coincide with stressful situations, chronic gas, and mucous in stools.

You can treat irritable bowel syndrome at home by eating more fiber-rich foods and supplementing with a high-quality probiotic. Probiotics are the active cultures found in fermented foods such as yogurt and sauerkraut. They populate your gut and help cut down on inflammation and chronic stomach pain.

Stomach Ulcer

Chronic stomach pain can also be linked to stomach ulcer. A stomach ulcer is a perforation in the lining of the stomach or intestine. Most ulcers are caused by a bacterium called H. Pylori. H. Pylori affects approximately 50% of the population though 80% of infected individuals experience no symptoms. For the other unfortunate 20%, this bacterium can cause serious problems.

Symptoms of stomach ulcer include pain behind the sternum (especially after eating), morning stomach pain, indigestion, frequent burping, nausea, and even vomiting. Stomach ulcer is often treated with a series of antibiotics and anti-acids. Unfortunately, this isn’t always the best course of action and can make stomach ulcer much worse.

To treat stomach ulcer at home, try adding a high-quality probiotic supplement to your diet. Also, make some dietary changes. Cut the junk food out of your diet and trade it in for whole-foods such as fiber-rich beans, organic steamed vegetables, brown rice, oatmeal, and stomach-healing soups and stews.

Acid Reflux Disease

Acid reflux disease affects millions of people and is a common cause of chronic stomach pain. It may surprise you to know that the cause of acid reflux disease is not caused by too much acid in the stomach; it’s caused by too little. This is why conventional treatment methods do nothing to cure the condition.

Acid reducers and proton pump inhibitors only further reduce the stomach acid your body needs to digest food. Instead of suppressing the acid in your stomach, try enhancing it. Drink one teaspoon of apple cider vinegar before each meal. Alternatively, you can try taking a digestive enzyme supplement before meals to reduce your acid reflux symptoms.

Ulcerative Colitis

Ulcerative colitis is a serious condition characterized by severe inflammation caused by ulcerated sores in the lower intestine. This is caused by the immune system mistaking the intestine as a foreign invader and attacking it.

Symptoms include crampy stomach pain, frequent and loose bowel movements, blood in the stool, and low-grade fever. The best way to treat ulcerative colitis is to figure out why your immune system is attacking your intestines. Oftentimes, ulcerative colitis can be caused by gluten intolerance and excessive consumption of processed foods.

The best thing to do to cut down on symptoms is to eat a whole-food, high-fiber diet. You should also add a probiotic supplement to reduce inflammation and heal your ravaged gut.

You don’t have to live with chronic stomach pain. Even if you’ve been struggling with it for years, it doesn’t have to be your normal. Despite what you may have been told, you have plenty of natural options to get your stomach pain under control so you can live a happier, healthier life.

Leave a Reply